Located on the shore of Ullswater in the Lake District National Park this proposal responds to the majesty of the setting with a light touch and simple gesture to the waterfront. Protected by the adjoining wood and anchored to the ground by way of a natural stone structure, this jetty-like building projects forward to engage in the activities of the lake. Sustainability, practicality and affordability are issues that inform our design decisions at every stage and encompass:
- Conserving and enhancing the distinct character and quality of the local area with efficiency in design and construction sustainable in the long term
- Using local sources, skills, low maintenance materials and resource proven locally
- Promoting natural light and natural ventilation
- Managing the efficient use of energy, water resources and existing infrastructure over the life time of the building relevant to seasonal patterns of use
- Assessing the requirements of short and long-term budget constraints.